- Organisational behavior
- Networks and knowledge management
- Cross-cultural management
- Strategic management
- Organisation theory
- PhD in Business Administration, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Champaign, IL (USA), 2003
Service to the Profession Reviewer: Ad Hoc Reviewer for a Journal
- Organization Science (2014 – 2016)
- Administrative Science Quarterly (2014 – 2016)
- Organization Studies (2014 – 2015)
- Evolution of organizational networks
- Organizational and strategic implications of intra- and inter-organizational networks, with a focus on network embeddedness, multiplexity, evolution, and social capital
- Classification processes and categorization
- Organizational communication
- Knowledge management and communities of practice
- Industrial districts
- Managerial cognition
- Social network analysis
- Director for Thriving through Complexity Area of Expertise, Rennes School of Business (October 2018 – December 2019)
- Associate Dean for Research and Doctoral Programmes Director (Oct. 2017- Present)
- Full Professor, Human Resources Management Academic Area, Rennes School of Business (2015- Present)
- Associate Professor, Human Resources Management Academic Area, Rennes School of Business (2012 – 2015)
- Research Assistant Professor/Contract Professor, Free University of Bozen-Bolzano (2009-2012)
- Assistant Professor, Boston College (2002-2009)
Refereed Articles Discipline-Based Scholarship
Free-riding in multi-party alliances: The role of perceived alliance effectiveness and peers’ collaboration in a research consortium
Authors:Fonti F, Maoret M, Whitbred R Published in:Strategic Management Journal, 38(2): 363–383 Date:2017
The direct and indirect effects of core and peripheral social capital on organizational performance
Authors:Fonti, F., & Maoret, M. Published in:Strategic Management Journal, 37(8): 1765–1786. Date:2016
Cognitive categorization and network perception: Cognitive Aggregated Social Structures in opaque networks.
Authors:Fonti, F., Maoret, M., & Whitbred, R. Published in:In G. Gavetti & W. Ocasio (Eds.) Advances in Strategic Management: Cognition and Strategy, vol. 32: 147–179. Bingley (UK): Emerald Group Publishing Ltd. Date:2015
The social and economic bases of network multiplexity: Exploring the microdynamics of the emergence of multiplex ties.
Authors:Ferriani, S., Fonti, F., & Corrado, R. Published in:Strategic Organization, 11 (1), 7-34. Date:2013
Markets from networks and the propensity of companies to collaborate: An empirical test of two mechanisms.
Authors:Lomi, A. & Fonti, F Published in:Economic Letters, 114 (2), 216-220. Date:2012
Understanding the ties that bind: A longitudinal investigation of the evolution of a communication network.
Authors:Contractor, N., Whitbred, R., Fonti, F., & Steglich, C. Published in:Western Journal of Communication, 76 (4), 333-357. Date:2012
From micro-actions to macro-structure and back: A structurational approach to the evolution of organizational networks.
Authors:Whitbred, R., Fonti, F., Steglich, C., & Contractor, N Published in:Human Communication Research Date:2011
Where do weak ties come from? An empirical investigation of the antecedents of weak network ties.
Authors:Fonti, F. & Whitbred, R Published in:Sinergie, 86, 93-111 Date:2011
Who's on first? The role of network perception in organizational free-riding.
Authors:Fonti, F., Whitbred, R., & Maoret, M Published in:Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings. Date:2011
Presentations of Refereed Papers International
Design in organizations: Building a research agenda (Papers' Sub-Track)
Authors:Fonti, Fabio, Davide Ravasi, and Ileana Stigliani Published in:EGOS Colloquium, Copenhagen, Denmark. Date:2017
Design in management: Themes, challenges, and opportunities (Caucus).
Authors:Fonti, Fabio and Ileana Stigliani Published in:Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Anaheim, California. Date:2016
Using design to build (more) meaningful organizations: Toward a Research Agenda
Authors:Fonti, Fabio, Jeanne Liedtka, Ileana Stigliani and Tschang Ted Published in:Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Anaheim, California. Date:2016
Design for innovation: The influence of design methods and processes on idea generation and selection.
Authors:Mitrojorgji, Linda, Fabio Fonti, and Yancy Vaillant Published in:Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Anaheim, California. Date:2016
Crossing audiences: The influence of consumer reviews on organizational prestige and attraction
Authors:Mirowska, Agata and Fabio Fonti Published in:Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Vancouver, Canada-British Columbia. Date:2015
Chapters, Cases, Readings, Supplements Chapter
Mapping the teaching tools in EU studies: Initial results from a comprehensive study.
Authors:Baroncelli, Stefania, Fabio Fonti, and Gordana Stevancevic Published in:Teaching European Union Studies: Patterns in Traditional and Innovative Teaching Methods and Curricula. Springer Verlag, 2013. Date:2013
Innovativeness in teaching EU studies: An empirical investigation." Teaching European Union Studies: Patterns in Traditional and Innovative Teaching Methods and Curricula.
Authors:Fonti, Fabio and Gordana Stevancevic Published in:Springer Verlag, 2013. Date:2013
Legami sociali, rapporti economici e legami procurati da terzi: Uno studio sulle determinati dell'embeddedness nei cluster geografici
Authors:Ferriani, Simone, Fabio Fonti, and Raffaele Corrado Published in:Dinamiche Evolutive nei Cluster Geografici di Imprese. Il Mulino, 2010. Date:2010
Evolutionary perspectives on interorganizational relations.
Authors:Lomi, Alessandro, Giacomo Negro, and Fabio Fonti Published in:Oxford Handbook of Inter-Organizational Relations. Oxford University Press, 2008. Date:2008