- Financial economics
- Investment Management
- Impact Investing
- Corporate Finance
- PhD. in Finance, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton business school (September 2008 – August 2014)
- Msc. in Financial Economics, University of Oxford, Saïd business school, Oxford, OX, United Kingdom, (September 2006 – June 2007)
- MA in applied economics (lic. TEW), Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Department of economics, Leuven, VBR, Belgium (September 2002 – September 2006)
- Social Finance
- Social Entrepreneurship
(Impact investing, Corporate social responsibility, Social economics)
- iMBA Director, Rennes School of Business (September 2019 – Present)
- Assistant professor, Finance & Accounting Academic area, Rennes School of Business (May, 2015 – Present).
- Teaching Assistant, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton business school Philadelphia, PA, United States (September 2009 – June 2013)
- Voluntary researcher, University of Antwerp, Department of economics, Antwerp, ANT, Belgium (November 2014 – 2015)
(Research Project: 2014 Barometer of corporate social responsibility in Belgium
- Dean’s List Award 2007, Saïd business school, University of Oxford
- Doctoral fellowship, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
- Carlos and Rosa de la Cruz Ph.D. Fellowship in behavioral finance, (2011-2012)
Refereed Articles Discipline-Based Scholarship
- Jad H. Bazih, Dieter Vanwalleghem (2021) Deriving value or risk? Determinants and the impact of emerging market banks’ derivative usage. Research in International Business and Finance, Volume 56, Issue 1, April 2021, 101379
- Vanwalleghem, Dieter , Canan Yildirim, and Anthony Mukanya, 2020 “Leveraging local knowledge or global advantage: Cross border bank mergers and acquisitions in Africa.” Emerging Markets Review : Volume 42, March 2020, 100656
- Dowling, Michael , Colm O’Gorman, Petya Puncheva, and Dieter Vanwalleghem, (2019) “Trust and SME attitudes towards equity financing across Europe.” Journal of World Business : Vol 54(6), 101003, pp. 1-16
- Vanwalleghem, D., Mirowska, A. (2020) The investor that could and would: The effect of proactive personality on sustainable investment choice. Journal of Behavioral and Exprimental Finance, Volume 26, June 2020, 100313.
- Dowling, Michael and Dieter Vanwalleghem, “Gulf Cooperation Council Cross-Border M&A: Institutional Determinants of Target Nation Selection.” Research in International Business and Finance 46. (2018): 471-489.
- Vanwalleghem, Dieter , “The real effects of sustainable and responsible investing?” Economic Letters 156. (2017): 10-14.
- Demoor, VanLiedekerke and Vanwalleghem, “The Risk-return of Belgian SRI funds. Tijdschrift voor Economie en Management“, 52 673-685 (2007)
Refereed proceedings – Discipline-Based Scholarship
- Vanwalleghem, Dieter, Yildirim, Canan and Anthony Mukanya. Leveraging local knowledge or global advantage: cross border bank mergers and acquisitions in Africa. In: 10th International research Meeting in Business and Management (IRMBAM 2019), Nice, France, July 2019
- Vanwalleghem, Dieter, Yildirim, Canan and Anthony Mukanya. Leveraging local knowledge or global advantage: Cross border bank mergers and acquisitions in Africa. In: IFABS, Angers, France, June 2019
- Vanwalleghem, Dieter, Yildirim, Canan and Anthony Mukanya. Leveraging local knowledge or global advantage: Cross border bank mergers and acquisitions in Africa. In: Seventh Spring Conference of the Multinational Finance Society, Creete, Greece, April 2019
- Dowling, Michael, Vanwalleghem, Dieter. A region at the crossroads: cross-border M&A by Gulf Council countries. In: INFINITI 2016 Asia-Pacific, Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam, December 2016