This programme is proposed in partnership with:
The international consumer, societal and political pressures have compelled companies to integrate a new dimension into management: sustainability. Both multinational companies (MNCs) and small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) must be able to integrate sustainable practices into the way they do day-to-day business.
To meet this challenge they require specifically trained managers throughout the organisation capable of developing sustainable strategies for managing companies’ social and environmental impact within multiple markets and fields of operation. These managers must be able to design, produce and market products and services creating sustainable value to the company and to the society.
In response to this need, the Rennes School of Business offers a specialised MSc Program in Sustainable Management and Eco-Innovation (SMEI). The program was created in 2013 and is a unique cooperative agreement between Rennes School of Business and the School of Environmental Management and Engineering, Rennes (EME). This partnership offers students an excellent learning environment and exposure to highly qualified multicultural faculty specialised in sustainable business practices and environmental innovation and design. The programme aims at educating students to become responsible business leaders capable of applying sustainability-related knowledge in the formulation of responsible business practices and the ethical management of people in organisations.
To achieve this aim the programme incorporates interdisciplinary modules from multiple business fields (such as human resource management, operations management, information systems, marketing and finance) and environmental engineering (such as eco-design and environmental impact assessment). In addition, students from very different backgrounds of study such as engineering, environmental sciences and business are able to exchange knowledge and come up with creative ideas in sustainability-related team assignments.
MSc SMEI graduates are capable of identifying the potential risks and the opportunities related to the activities of firms at a global level. They are able to monitor and optimize the development of eco-friendly products and services so as to create sustainable value for their organization.
The international job market offers vast opportunities for professionals trained and interested in this function
"The function of the Manager in Environmental Sustainability and Eco-Innovation is relevant for companies operating in both services and product markets. The international job market offers vast opportunities for professionals trained and interested in this function including positions within small business and large multinational enterprises managing global consumer bases and/or supply chains."
- First degree (Bachelors) in Business or equivalent* (GPA>2.7)
- English proficiency: TOEFL>80(ITB) or TOEIC>750 or IELTS>6.5 or equivalent
- Application form
- Interview (possible by phone)
(*) Other cases will be considered individually
Fees structure and funding:
Modules: September 2018 to May 2019
Double degree Master in Management/MSc: at least 4 months mandatory internship between May & December 2019
MSc only: at least 4 months mandatory internship between May 2019 & February 2020
Graduating project: up to October 2019
2018/2019 : Application fees : 90 €
News:Application Deadline : July 20th 2018*
Still on time to apply to a Master programme @RennesSB! (*Under conditions for non-European candidates)
I chose Rennes SB because of the international diversity
I chose the MSc in Sustainability Management and Eco-Innovation because I wanted to learn how organisations or businesses could create value and wealth responsibly. I truly believe and hope that this will be our future and the future of our societies. I chose Rennes School of Business because of the international diversity among its teachers and students that could offer unique perspectives regarding this important yet multi-layered theme, especially in our globally connected culture.
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Marketing of Innovation
- Project Management
- Energy Issues and International Sustainable Regulations
- International Strategic Management ‘‘Winter Session’’ abroad
or course at Rennes School of Business
- Eco-Design Management
- Information Systems Management and Financial Aspects in SM
- Management of Change
- Sustainable Supply Chain / Green Logistics
- Strategic Knowledge Management
- Global Quality Management & Sustainability
TOTAL = 120 ECTS
Candidates have to fill in the application form.
The complete student’s file must be submitted to the admissions office.
Eligible candidates will be contacted for a an interview (Face-to-face, telephone, skype or on-line interview).
Visa for non-European students
Please contact the local French Embassy or Campus France in your country to obtain a visa application to arrange your stay in France as soon as you are admitted.
The international office of Rennes School of Business helps students to obtain a resident permit.
The School provides an orientation programme for all international students the week before classes start. Sessions are compulsory and cover application for residence permit, health insurance, banking, internet provider, mobile phones, bus pass and information sessions on French culture, academic expectations and standards.
Rennes School of Business helps international students to finding suitable accommodation (student residence, private house, shared flat, family homestay) in the city. A new residence campus for international students is now available on the campus.
Tel.: +33 (0)2 99 33 48 40
Intended career paths
Intended career paths
- Consulting firms performing environmental analysis of companies’ CSR practices with the aim to offer advice to those organisations or provide information to ethical investment funds
- Businesses offering eco-products or engaged in social and environmentally responsible practices,
- Accreditation organisations of corporate environmental and social responsibility (like ISO, GRI – Global Reporting Initiative),
- Government agencies, international organisations dealing with the environmental and social impact of business (eg. UN Global compact)
- NGOs (non-for profit organisations) concerned with ethical trade practices or collaborating with business on sustainability issues
Examples of job titles of our graduates
- Sustainable Development Analyst
- Sustainability Advisor
- ESG/Sustainability Analyst
- Expert in Sustainable and Responsible Investment and Finance
- Energy Advisor
- Expert in Innovation, Business Development and Sustainability
- CSR Project Manager
Major recruiters of our graduates
- Lindt & Sprüngli (France)
- Nokia Bell Labs
- L’Agence de l’Environnement et de la Maîtrise de l’Energie (ADEME)